Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games is the first of three books set in a post-apocalyptic world, specifically "Panem", a new country where North America once was. It follows the story of Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers to replace her sister in a brutal battle, named after the film's title, in which 24 teenagers fight to the death and only one survives and becomes the "Victor". It was adapted into a film and released this year and with the books author co-writing and co-producing the film, I don't think fans, or newcomers like myself, will be disappointed.

I went to the see the film in my local Odeon cinema in East Kilbride and, one week after its UK release, the screen was full. Having never read any of the books and without even seeing the trailer ( I know, not sure how I managed to avoid that one) I had absolutely no expectations for the film. I'm not sure if that's why I thought it was fantastic but I did, and it was.

Although the film does take 5 or 10 minutes to fully get into it, once it does it's definitely worth it. At first,the setting or plot isn't really explained and for someone with no knowledge that this was a post-apocalyptic world or that there are 12 differet districts who must provide a boy and girl for the Games, this was confusing. Katniss, played by Jennifer Lawrence, isn't immediately likable and comes across as fairly cold and detached until the later scenes. However, this all turns around in the scene where the so-called "Tributes" are chosen at random to compete in the games. After her 12 year old sister's name is pulled out, Katniss screams that she will volunteer for the Games, something which has never happened before. Her reaction and that of her friends and family are really emotional and it instantly makes you see how involved you are already with the character. The film itself is quiet at times with obscure shots which meant at first I was totally unaware of how involved in it I was, until I realised I was holding my breath the majority of the time.

The futuristic world where the Games takes place is incredibly realistic as it doesn't try to be to over the top; things simply look better, sleeker and faster. The supporting actors include Donald Sutherland, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson and each of them are fantastic in their roles. Woody Harrelson especially begins as a dismissive, alcoholic ex-Victor who then becomes invovled in Katniss' story and becomes one of her biggest supporters.

At around 2 hours and 20 minutes the film is long and at times it does feel like it's dragging at certain points, but for fans of the book I'm sure, they'll be glad no major scenes were missed out. The actual Games takes up a large part of the film which was satisfying as with such a big build-up, it would have felt unjust to be denied every detail of the battle.

In a nutshell, if you're looking for something exciting, nerve-wracking and action packed but with real emotion and brilliant characters, The Hunger Games is for you. Now I just need to avoid the next two film's plots being ruined before 2013. Unlikely. Here's the second trailer for the film where you can see the moment Katniss volunteers:


Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour...

No comments:

Post a Comment